…That half of dogs and 70% of cats in shelters are killed, simply because no one adopts them?
…Between 6-8 million dogs and cats are placed into shelters every year in the U.S.?
…Which means that about 4 million pets are killed each year due to lack of adoptive homes?
…And adult dogs face the highest risk of dying in shelters? But…
…On the flip side, having a companion pet in your family brings amazing benefits, including:
- Boosting kids’ self-esteem and ability to relate to others
- Reducing cardiovascular stress more than a friend or spouse
- Reducing depression in bereaved elderly
- Improving hormone levels associated with happiness and well-being, for dog owners
- Lowering blood pressure, cholesterol and triglyceride levels
Today is a great day to honorably adopt an adult shelter pet!