Veterinary costs are one of the biggest contributors to the overall costs of owning a pet, which is why Pets for Patriots partners with veterinary practices across the country to provide high quality, discounted care to veterans and service members who adopt through our program.
We often get requests for assistance with individuals’ veterinary bills when their dog or cat experiences either a medical emergency or requires extraordinary care, like surgery. Although we do not maintain a veterinary fund, there are excellent local and national resources available to qualifying pet owners:
- The Pet Fund provides financial aid to owners in need of assistance with veterinary bills.
- IMOM provides financial assistance for owners of pets facing life-threatening circumstances.
- Trio Animal Foundation helps shelters, rescues and individuals pay medical bills of homeless pets.
- Red Rover provides a listing of organizations that provide financial assistance for veterinary care, organized by state/national, disease, breed and other relevant factors.
- Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance (cats only) is for owners who cannot afford necessary, life-saving veterinary care.
- Humane Society of the United States listing provides both national and state-by-state listing of various organizations, funds, etc. for low/no-cost veterinary care.
- Care Credit offers payment plans for individuals who need help with various types of bills, including veterinary care.
- Rose’s Fund offers financial assistance for veterinary bills to pet owners experiencing financial hardship, as long as the animal has a good prognosis if the care is rendered.
- Tails of Hope Foundation provides education and financial assistance to qualifying pet owners whose pets are suffering from treatable, life-threatening diseases.
- Handicapped Pets Foundation donates mobility equipment to pets in need.
- Frankie’s Friends provides grants for emergency and specialty care for pets with promising outcomes, for individuals and families unable to afford the full cost of care.
- PetChance uses the power of social media and crowd funding to help individuals raise money for their pets’ veterinary bills.
Pets for Patriots members are eligible to receive a 15% discount from Petplan, rated America’s number one pet insurance provider and the exclusive pet insurance sponsor of our charity. Whether you choose to insure your pet, set aside medical funds in your family budget – or both – always have a financial plan to care for your pet’s veterinary needs.
What tips can you share for managing your pet’s medical costs?